HOW SNACKING HAS CHANGED
The pandemic that has gripped the world since early 2020 has changed our lives and has impacted how we work, meet with people, spend our free time, where we want to live and even how we eat.
One interesting development has been the substantial increase in demand for snack foods. The products in demand are not the typical snack foods of the past. Today’s consumers are looking for higher protein products with nutritionally functional ingredients to quell the cravings. This is a strong opportunity for companies that have not traditionally pursued this category – meat companies, dairy companies and bakeries – to develop products that satisfy the demands of consumers today.
Fortunately, our busy team of creative Hela Spice Canada food technologists have already been working on this developing trend. We have a wide range of conceptual products ready for your review. We have created innovative meat, dairy, vegan and high protein snacks, that focus on this growth category and they can be produced using traditional equipment normally found in a processing facility.
THE SNACK MARKET IN 2021
The snacking segment is growing in Canada up from $33 billion Jn 2013 to over $44 billion in 2018, Traditional potato chips stil dominate the snacking segment, partly due to their being one of the fist products marketed, and consumer habits. Chips have seen a decline in market share In recent years, not due to a decrease in sales, but rather an increase in sales from the nut Snack and emerging new snack categories. This emergence of other snack categories points to a consumer that s willing to evolve and swap out traditional snacks to support 2 healthier lifestyle
This change is being particularly driven by consumers who feel that they have gained weight during the pandemic and are now looking for products that provide functional benefits. The main way consumers are targeting new choices isto look for products high in protein. These types of products offer a perfect balance of flavour and functionality.
Hela Spice Canada has the technical resources, product development experience and faclities to help you capture a share ofthis growing market In an efficent and rapid fashion sing the hottest lavour trends of today in combination with high protein and other nutritious ingredients
Our team of R&D specialists are waiting and ready to work with you to explore this rapidly growing market segment.
FULL FLAVOURED MEAT SNACKS
At Hela Spice Canada, we have spent the time to examine the traditional ‘meat snack and reinvent the category with products designed to capture consumers’ interest and deliver on their needs ready-to-eat products that are innovative and taste absolutely great.
We have a wide range of capabilities and technology to develop products that fulfill consumer cravings.
- Traditional pepperette pieces but with the addition of a nutritional fibre to improve the nutritional qualities ofthe snack
- Dried-down broken and then chunked hat dog pieces coated in a honey mustard coating so that they become a RTE snack food
- A line of bacon or ham based chips coated with every popular flavour from ketchup and BBQ to sour cream and onion
- Diced ham slicing log ends, tumbled in a brown sugar and amber ale flavoured seasoning and then dried down to be shelf stable
- Pizza toppings from sliced ends of salami, pepperoni, chicken loaf or even bologna, diced and then re-baked slightly to firm up the texture
- Salad toppings made from minced and dried hot dog pieces – can be flavoured in many ways from a blackened seasoning to a bacon flavour
We have a library of ready-to-go concepts. Let us help you!
GET WILD WITH DAIRY
Dairy does not need to be forgotten. Normally, snack foods dairy have been focused on cut cheese pieces. However, the innovators at Hela Spice Canada R&D are ready to take it to another level.
Tempting products to drive sales:
- A blended cheese and vegetable chip in a delicious smoky molasses bbq seasoning
- An extruded snack made from real smoked gouda and vegetable ingredients that is crunchy and irresistible
- Areal queso dip, seasoned with Peruvian peppers and rich spices, perfect for microwaving and lime tortilla chips
Cheese dipping sauces — easy and flavourful
- Smoky BBQ
- Honey Garlic
- Lemon, Pepper and Herb
BAKED SNACKS AT THE FRONT
Baked snacks have been overlooked for a while. Traditional products, traditional flavours and little innovation. At Hela Spice Canada, we want to change all of that and adapt the baked snack food market to meet the emerging trends that we are seeing play out in today’s marketplace.
There are many ways to grow the market share and the easiest way is to take existing products, add protein, fibre and natural ingredients and then deliver delicious and nutritious products that people are looking for:
- An ancient grain and vegetable chip – protein and fibre enriched – topped with a low sodium Calabrian chili pepper seasoning
- Asweet protein-enriched milk chocolate cookie, infused with fibres from sweet potato and mango fiber
- An extruded cheese flavoured snack, high in fibre and protein – tasty, addictive and healthy for you
- Donut balls, made with additional protein and fibre, stuffed with fillings that range from a savoury vegan ham and real cheese filling to one that satisfies your sweet tooth with a candied apple filling and real apple pieces
Let Hela Spice Canada help you bring your ideas to life.
WHY SHOULD YOU WORK WITH HELA SPICE CANADA?
- R&D Team experienced in many different product categories
- Ability to create products based on customers’ ideas
- Ability to bring new product ideas and fully developed concepts for customer review
- Real plant production experience that enables Hela Spice Canada to create an easy to produce system of blends and raw materials including processing instructions, to make processing simple for companies
- We can adapt procedures to best utilize available plant processing equipment
Have a product idea? Tell us all about it and your search for the perfect ingredients. Find it all at Hela Spice. Let’s talk about your next best-seller.